SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING
The School of Engineering comprises Agricultural and Bio-Environmental Engineering, Agricultural Technology, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Fisheries Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Minerals & Petroleum Resources Engineering, Horticultural Technology and Crop Production Technology Departments. The School has about three thousand students studying at both the National Diploma and Higher National Diploma levels. The School prepares diplomates for employment in the Engineering sector. The School graduates can be found across the world putting their practical and academic skills to good use. All the engineering programmes are accredited by the professional bodies and the National Board for Technical Education.
The broad objective of the School is to provide both full-time and part-time courses of instruction and training in Engineering Technology and in other fields of applied technology to meet Nigeria’s developmental needs in the areas of industrial and agricultural production and research. The potentials of our students are opened to further development by Higher education and Industrial opposites in the society.
Entry Requirements for National Diploma
The minimum entry requirement into the National Diploma (ND) Programme in the various departments in the School of Engineering is at least five (5) credit passes in relevant subjects including English Language in Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE) or its equivalent (GCE, NECO, NTC, NCC, NABTEB). The five credit passes must be in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, English Language and any other one, depending on departmental requirement from Metalwork, Auto-Mechanics, Basic Electricity, Technical Drawing, Fine Art, Woodwork, Geography, Statistics, Economics, Biology, Agricultural Science, ICT, Data Processing, Computer Science, Further Mathematics, etc. This must be at not more than two sittings.
Entry Requirements for Higher National Diploma
To be admitted into the Higher National Diploma programme, a candidate must possess:
- the minimum entry requirements for the National Diploma,
- Lower Credit pass at the National Diploma level, and
- one year of mandatory relevant industrial work experience
Our students in the School of Engineering are trained morally, skillfully and academically to exhibit corporate attitude acceptable nationally and internationally in all fields of human endeavours, especially in Engineering.
Department of Agricultural and Bio-Environmental Engineering Technology
The Programme is designed to produce Agricultural and Bio-Environmental Engineering Technicians and Technologists capable of utilizing and carrying out repairs and maintenance of farm machinery, irrigation and drainage facilities as well as storage and processing equipment. Diplomates must be able to assist in the designing of farm structures and other farming facilities.
a) NATIONAL DIPLOMA
Credit passes in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, English Language and any one from Agricultural Science/Biology, Geography/Economics, Further Mathematics, Building Construction/Woodwork/Technical Drawing/Metalwork/Tractor Mechanic/Refrigerator.
b) HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA
- National Diploma in Agricultural Engineering/Agricultural and Bio-Environmental Engineering
- Letter of completion of one year Industrial Training
- O’Level result as stated above.
Visit the department’s website here.
Department of Agricultural Technology
The Programme is designed to produce Agricultural Technicians and Technologists capable of assisting in planning and laying out all types of crops, animal and fish farms, employ modern techniques in the rearing of different types of livestock on large scale, employ modern techniques in land preparation, planting, management and harvesting of food and cash crops, engage in processing and storage of all agricultural produce, and in agricultural extension services, soil water balance and application.
Entry Requirements for the National Diploma
The minimum entry requirements into the National Diploma in Agricultural Technology Programme is five credit level passes in the West African School Certificate, Senior Secondary School Certificate, General Certificate of Education (GCE), Ordinary level obtained at not more than two sittings. Five credit level passes in National Examination Council (NECO) at not more than two sittings is also acceptable.
The same goes for National Business and Technical Education Board (NABTEB). The subjects must include Mathematics, Biology/Agricultural Science, Chemistry and any one of the following: Geography, Economics, Statistics, Physics and at least a credit pass in English Language is compulsory.
Entry Requirements for the Higher National Diploma in Agricultural Technology
Candidates for admission into Higher National Diploma in Agricultural Extension, Fisheries Technology and Management option or Animal Production Technology option should possess the following: National Diploma in Agricultural Technology at lower credit or above from the Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti or any other recognized higher institution of equivalent standard, plus ONE YEAR post-ND Industrial attachment.
In addition, ND holders must possess five credits in WASCE, GCE, NABTEB, SSCE, or NECO at not more than two sittings. The five credits must include Mathematics, Biology/Agricultural Science/Animal Husbandry, Chemistry and any of the following: Geography, Economics, Statistics, Physics, and at least a credit pass in English language is compulsory. (A candidate with a pass grade at ND level after a minimum of two year industrial attachment may be considered.
Department of Civil Engineering
The National Diploma Programme in Civil Engineering Technology is aimed at producing technicians for both the public and private sectors of the economy who can also be selfemployed and self-reliant. In addition, Higher National Diplomates should be able to play prominent roles in the design, execution and supervision of Civil Engineering works.
a) NATIONAL DIPLOMA
- Credit passes in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, English Language and any one from Geography/Economics, Further Mathematics, Building Construction/Woodwork/Civic Education/Technical Drawing/Metal Work and Biology at not more than two sittings in WASCE or NECO.
- Credit passes in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English and a trade-related subject such as Building construction, Building Technology, Concrete Technology, Woodwork, Technical Drawing at not more than two sittings in NABTEB or National Technical Certificate.NB: Trade course must be relevant, e.g. Woodwork, Building Construction, Technical Drawing, Metalwork, etc.
b) HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA
- To be considered for admission into Civil Engineering Department, a prospective student shall possess a minimum of lower credit in Civil Engineering from the Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti, while a prospective student with a minimum of upper credit from other
Polytechnics may be considered for admission.
- A letter of completion of compulsory one-year industrial training duly signed and stamped by the establishment/firm/organisation.
- The candidate must satisfy admission requirement for National Diploma as spelt out above.
Department of Electrical/Electronic Engineering
The Programme is designed to produce Electrical and Electronic Engineering technicians/technologists for the manufacturing, assembling, servicing and power-generating, transmitting, distributing and utilizing industries.
The minimum entry requirements into the National Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Programme is:
- Five Credit level passes in WASCE, SSCE, NECO OR GCE O’level obtained at not more than two sittings in English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry and any other one from Technical Drawing, Further Mathematics, Economics, Geography, Electrical Installation, Computer Studies, Electrical Works, Appliances Maintenance and Repairs and Basic Electronics/Electricity.
- NTC – National Technical Certificate issued by NABTEB only in relevant trade, and not in trade areas – certificates in any area such as: Book-keeping, Commerce, Secretarial Studies, Accounting, Data Processing and ICT, etc. is not acceptable in Electrical/Electronic Engineering.
HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA
National Diploma is the pre-requisite, with minimum of Lower Credit and one year Industrial Experience.
Department of Fisheries Technology
The programme is designed to establish and effectively run fish farm, carry out associated process including fish-seed production and other processes, package and market fisheries products and by-products, produce feeds for all types of fishes, serve as an extension worker able to impact on fish farmers the modern techniques aimed at increasing their fish production levels and standard of living.
Entry Requirements for National Diploma
The minimum entry requirement into the National Diploma in Fisheries Technology programme is five (5) credit level passes in West African School Certificate, Senior Secondary School Leaving Certificate or General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary Level obtained at not more than two sittings is also acceptable.
Department of Horticultural Technology
The Programme is designed to produce competent manpower to meet the National requirements in the areas of Horticultural Products. Students will be able to understand the science of plant conservation, landscape restoration, soil management and landscape and garden design; provide technical know-how to farmers for establishment of fruit plant orchards in a scientific way; operate farm machinery, equipment and implement; carry out irrigation techniques to boost Horticultural production and carry out management operation in Horticultural gardens; establish ornamental and Horticultural nursery and landscape design; understand the theoretical and practical aspect of growing fruits, vegetables, flowers and other cultivars; meet the challenges for self-employment or employment in industries.
Requirements for National Diploma
The minimum entry requirements into National Diploma in Horticultural Technology Programme is (five (5) credit level passes in West African School Certificate.(WASC), Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSC) or General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary Level obtained at not more than two sittings is also acceptable.
The same goes for National Board of Technical Education (NABTEB). The subjects must include Five Credits including Mathematics, English language, Chemistry, Agricultural Science/Biology and any of the following: Geography, Economics. Technical Drawing and Physics after passing the UTME and Post UTME cut off mark.
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Programme aims at producing mechanical engineering technicians and technologists for the nation’s industries, construction firms, public utilities and services. The graduates should be able to interpret and prepare engineering drawings of mechanical systems, carry out machining and fabrication operations, operate and maintain production equipment, and prepare appropriate engineering reports.
The Higher National Diploma Programme offers two options for specialisation, viz:
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Power and Plant Engineering.
Department of Minerals & Petroleum Resources Engineering Technology (MPRET)
The Programme is designed to produce technologists capable of applying geological and related engineering principles to the analysis and application of earth resources.
The Higher National Diploma Programme offers three options for specialisations, viz:
- Geological Engineering Technology
- Minerals Engineering Technology
- Mining Engineering Technology.
- Prospective candidate must have credit in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry.
- Any one of the following: Geography, Economics, Agricultural Science, Biology, Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing and Mining.
Higher National Diploma
- The candidate must have satisfied the minimum entry requirements for National Diploma.
- He/she must possess at least lower credit pass in Mineral & Petroleum Resources Engineering at National Diploma.
- The candidate must have completed a compulsory one year industrial attachment
- Candidates with a Pass at National Diploma must have completed at least two years industrial attachment.